When I reflect on my journey of learning in the Mindlab course, I am thankful for skills and tools I have been given. It has required hard work and effort, but has been fruitful and rewarding.
I have found it difficult to focus in onto one element that has become a key change because there have been many changes to my practice and my pedagogy over the course.
What?
When I look at the Ministry of Education (2017) Our Code, Our Practice, I can see that through this Mindlab course it has impacted my professional learning and relationships, and the designing of learning that occurs in the classroom. However I feel that this course has really shown how professional learning is important for educators.
Osterman and Kottkamp (2015, p.66) note that "awareness is essential for behavioral change. To gain a new level of insight into personal behavior, the reflective practitioner assumes a dual stance being, on one hand, the actor in a drama and, on the other hand, the critic who sits in the audience watching and analyzing the entire performance." I feel that one tool that has allowed me to do this is Spirals of Inquiry. This has caused me to become more observant in my classroom and reflect on what is working and new learning needed to help my learners. I am becoming more aware of how I design learning affects my students, and have aimed to provide more opportunities for student agency, collaboration and giving feedback.throughout this course as Osterman and Kottkamp (2015, p 68) have suggested is important for a reflective practitioner I have had to observe what is happening in the classroom and step back and ask "What was the nature of the problem? What were my intentions? What did I do? What happened?" I feel that Spirals of Inquiry (2014) have given me a tool to reflect not only myself but with my colleagues and provide opportunities to collaborate and learn together.
Now What?
Stage 1: Problem identification
In my classroom students have limited skills in collaboration and ability to give feedback, especially in writing. It is important to develop this skill so that I prepare my students for their future and encourage their ability to skilfully communicate and collaborate.
Stage 2: Observation and Analysis
Osterman and Kottkamp (2015, p. 73) Said "To be a reflective practitioner, then, requires finely honed observational skills. Clear and careful description of experience (observation)..." I have found when using the Spirals of Inquiry the hardest part was to observing impartially and looking at what was happening so that I could develop a hunch. In my classroom I found if students weren't given defined roles or shared fairly, they struggled to work together to complete a task. Often students would argue or just complete work independently. The ability to share responsibilities fairly, working together, making decisions together and the product to the result of interdependence (ITL, 2012) is key to success in collaborative learning.
Stage 3:Abstract Reconceptualization
This relates to the new learning aspect of Spirals of Inquiry, thinking about what I need to learn and develop in the classroom. The ITL (2012) research into 21st Century skills provides a great framework to observe progress in students ability to collaborate together and skilled communication. For my classroom looking into blogging and encouraging students to give feedback to their peers more is something to develop.
Stage 4: Active Experimentation
This connects well with the taking action and checking in part of Spirals of Inquiry. This is the part where I take what I have learned and implement it in the classroom, check back on whether this is having the impact I desire. It is important to set goals and have specific targets so that I can see improvement or reflect on further changes required. In my practice I plan to set up more opportunities for students to give feedback not only to their peers but for me. I want to design more collaborative tasks in the classroom.
What Next?
Otterman and Kottkamp (2015, p 86) describe their reflective practice "...as a four-step process, in reality, the stages often merge together. I feel this resonates with Spirals of Inquiry, which encourages practitioners to constantly reflect and loop back to earlier stages in inquiry to get to the root of the problem. This is something I hope to continue in my practice as an educator. I aim to provide more opportunities to develop 21st Century Skills and to use the Spirals of Inquiry as a tool to really observe what is happening in my classroom.
References
ITL Research. (2012) 21CLD Learning Activity Rubrics. Retrieved from https://education.microsoft.com/GetTrained/ITL-Research
Ministry of Education. (2017). Our code, our standards. Retrieved from https://educationcouncil.org.nz/content/our-code-our-standards
Osterman, K. F., & Kottkamp, R. B. (2015). Reflective practice for educators: professional development to improve student learning.(2nd ed.) New York: Skyhorse Publishing.
Rolfe, G., Freshwater, D. and Jasper, M. (2001). Critical reflection in nursing and the helping professions: a user's guide. Basingstoke" Palgrave Machmillan. Retrieved fromhttps://my.cumbria.ac.uk/media/MyCumbria/Documents/ReflectiveModelRolfe.pdf
Timperley, H., Kaser, L. and Halbert, J. (2014). A Framework for transforming learning in schools: Innovation and the spiral of inquiry. Victoria: Centre for Strategic Education.

Hi Rosey, I totally agree with you in that as there have been many changes to my practice and pedagogy. I like how you intend to use the Spiral of Inquiry to help your students with blogging. I think it's important that our students learn to interact positively giving feedback and receiving feed forward. All the best
ReplyDeleteKia Ora Rosey, thank you for sharing your post. It has been a journey of reflective practice and the professional learnning has helped my teaching practice.
ReplyDeleteThe Spirals of Inquiry tool was a highlight for me as well as I had mainly used the Teaching as Inquiry model. The differences made me observe my practice more and ensure that I take my time. I always feel that as a teacher you are rushed in your Inquiry practice, however the Spirals of Inquiry really emphasises the process and that it can not be rushed. This was a positive for me as I was not expecting immediate answers.
I thought that your inclusion of the ITL Rubrics would assist you in developing your students collaborative and communication skills, and more importantly their 21st Century Learning Skills. The ITL Rubrics will help you to make learning experiences that meet the outcomes you desire.
When you have implemented using the ITL Rubrics in your planning and/or assessment, I would be interested to see how you are using it. This is a goal for myself to incorporate the 21st Century Learning Skills in my teaching practice.
Congratualtions Rosey for completing Mind Lab.