Pages

Friday, 24 July 2020

Digitally Fluency Intensive: Session 1


Today I began my journey with Digital Fluency Intensive learning.

I enjoyed learning about how teachers in the Manaiakalani cluster started out with only a few devices in the classroom and refined their practice through literacy circles. This enabled me to see in my own practice how I can slowly improve my ability to use devices effectively in the classroom by changing the way I implement new learning, reflecting on what worked well and what needs to change. I was reminded about how the "Learn, Create, Share" pedagogy is an effective practice that does not require digital devices but is enhanced by them.

The wānanga around Google Docs was informative and gave background knowledge as to why we use certain functions. I was not aware that we shouldn't underline our headings, as this should only be used for hyperlinks. I found that use of applying the formatting for headings to all headings are very useful function to carry into my teaching. The learning today reminded me of the importance of how I use Google docs with the students matters and to do it correctly. I had always thought some of the functions I used would be too difficult for my students, however after reflecting on it, I have realised it is very important to teach it correctly so my students do not have to unlearn bad habits.

Using Google Docs for creative purposes is something I had never considered before. Using tools such as remove.bg  to remove the background to create a cleaner look when designing posters and infographics, this will help me in the creation of multimodal texts, designing instructions and posters for my classroom. I enjoyed being able to align the text and pictures by using a table to put each in image in.

                    

I designed the poster above for one of my students who needs simple and clear instructions. I wanted the poster to covey what they needed to do and be a size that is usable at their desk, so they do not have to keep looking up to copy and read. Next week I plan to use eyes on text as a tool to increase the fluency of my readers and give them more opportunities to practice reading aloud. I hope it will  encourage my students to take notice of punctuation when reading aloud, as they have to clearly state it when recording using voice to type tool.

I look forward to learning about how to effectively use digital devices in the classroom and reflecting on what changes I need to make to improve my practice as a kaiako.


3 comments:

  1. Kia ora Rosey,
    Welcome to the Digital Fluency Intensive online! It was wonderful to have you as part of our small group bubble. I really enjoyed your conversation and honest reflection on how what you are learning is applicable also to your students. Your blog post here clearly shows how well you have thought through all those important applications. Yes I agree, it's never to early to start teaching them the effective practice - even if you are simply modelling it for them until they can do it themselves.

    Remove.bg does help to create posters etc without backgrounds which creates a cleaner presentation, yes. You could also search for image png for example book png or clock png in the Explore Tool and this will bring up images that already have transparent backgrounds for you.

    The poster you've designed here has a wonderful purposeful application directly to your classroom and no doubt the visual will be a good reminder for you too, to continue the practice with Eyes on Text. Please remember to feed back to our group how it's going as I'm very interested to hear myself. Eyes on Text is a wonderful practical and accountable activity for learners that helps build their self-efficacy through a means that's easy for learners to track.

    Thank you for your wonderful input on Day One of DFI and I look forward to working with you over the next 8 weeks.
    Amie Williams

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kia Ora Amie,

      thank you for the comment, it so nice to be encouraged with blog posting (something I am not very confident with or consistent at doing). I am really enjoying this new and practical learning. Each session I am learning something new, however the challenge is implementing it well and easily into my own practice. I wasn't able to test eyes on text in my class this week but will try for next week.

      Rosey

      Delete
    2. Hi Rosey,
      I can see you're determined to maximise the opportunity! Well done for replying! Blogging can like many other things - unless we timetable it in, it's easily forgotten. It's great to hear you're enjoying the learning!

      Delete

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - Begin with a greeting. Talk about something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A comment that will mean something to me to let me know you read/watched or listened to what I had to say. - use any language.
3. Something helpful - Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.
Encourage me to make another post