In our world we are experiencing exponential change, as educators we need to consider how we can prepare students to face the higher demands of knowledge and skills of their world (Daggett, 2014). One trend that has had a significant impact on the New Zealand education system is digital learning.
What?
In New Zealand the increase of digital technology in the classroom has increased. I have seen this over my career, however as teachers we can still use digital technology to replace worksheets, and in ways that still make us the holders of knowledge. When I consider my own use of digital technology i have used it substitute and augment. I am working towards using it in more meaningful ways because as pointed out by Daggett (2014) 'Using technology effectively in everyday learning can help students to strengthen their learning experiences and build on their intuitive technology skills. Using technology thoughtfully for instructional purposes will allow us to stretch learners' thinking in ways that will lead to success in today's increasingly global economy and rapidly evolving digital environment.'
Photograph retrieved from TES, 2018
This is imperative because our students come to school being able to use technology, yet they still need the skills to interpret and use knowledge in order to make changes to their world. Daggett (2014) shows that increasingly our students are using some form of device, see graphic below from his report.As an educator I need to prepare my students with the skills to effectively use technology, not only so they are prepared for the world, but to be current with the New Zealand curriculum.
So What?
As a teacher I can see that students are highly motivated by digital technology, and engagement or my students is higher when using it in the classroom. As Daggett (2014) suggests, we need to find the balance between online and traditional learning. In my own classroom I have seen the need to know how to use all the apps features correctly, how to research and summarise and synthesise information - this requires both digital and traditional forms of learning. We are in the knowledge age, therefore as educators it is necessary for us to teach students how to discern information and find appropriate and accurate information, not just looking at wikipedia, these are skills that require traditional forms of teaching but can be enhanced through technology
In my own teaching I need to be aware of teaching my students the skills required to use digital technology but also design learning tasks that require digital technology, make their learning more meaningful, not just replacing a worksheet. I want to reflect on the learning happening in my classroom and think how I can use technology to improve students understanding. In Daggett's report (2014) he shows that since 2007 there has been an increase in students making videos has doubled from 15% to 30%. Using blogging to teach students to share their learning, to revisit their learning and comment on others learning is a powerful way to use technology. Creating videos for students to refer back to teach them strategies in maths, how to punctuate their writing, instead of a modelling book that can only be referred to at school.
What Now?
I would like to engage in more blended/flipped learning, using digital technology to enhance the learning that is happening in my classroom. I want to create a learning environment that encourages students to be life long learners and see that learning can happen at anytime and anywhere. I want to know why I am making changes to pedagogy not just the how. As an educator I believe it is important to up skill and ensure that I am meeting the needs of my students not only for the world they are in now but what it will be in their future. I am lucky to have taken part in the Mindlab course that has helped to up skill me in the use of digital technology and encouraging 21st Century skills.
This trend of using digital technology in New Zealand has transformed the way a classroom looks, this evident from programmes such as the Manaiakalani Outreach Programme and changes to the New Zealand curriculum to meet the needs of students in the futures.
References
Daggett, B. (2014). Addressing Current and Future Challenges in Education. Retrieved from http://www.leadered.com/pdf/2014 MSC_AddressingCurrentandFutureChallenges.pdf
OECD. (2016) Trends Shaping Education 2016, OECD Publishing, Paris. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1787/trends_ edu-2016-en Daggett, B. (2014). Addressing Current and Future Challenges in Education. Retrieved from http://www.leadered.com/pdf/2014MSC_AddressingCurrentandFutu reChallenges.pdf
TES Teach (n.d.). SAMR model. Retrieved from https://www.tes.com/lessons/YYNiDC6XJl216w/samr-model
Visser, L., & Gagnon, K. (2005). Defining “Trends” and “Issues” in Distance Education. Conversation with Donald Paul Ely Y. Visser, L. Visser, M. Simonson & R. Amirault (Eds. de la serie), Trends and Issues in Distance Education. International Perspectives, pp.83-89.


Hi Rosey,
ReplyDeleteI like how you used the SAMR model. I didn't think about using it myself in the but it allows us to think about how we can implement the as a lot of what I do is in the Augmentation area and going into the Modification and Redefinition aspects is a scary thing. Makes you question how do I do this and how what changes will I ned to make?
Have you thought about using it for Project Based Learning?
Enjoyable post to read. Thanks for sharing it.
Jonathan Ritchie
HI Rosey!
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading your thoughtful reflection and how you are thinking about how you can apply your Mindlab learning! GO YOU! I completed my Last two assignments on the use of ICT to increase student engagement and came to similar conclusions as yours. ICT is a great tool to engage students however from my experience when it us used 'substitution' and 'augmentation' student engagement is not ale to be sustained for large periods of time. However when knowledge construction occurs (during 'Transformation' stage) students are more likely to be engaged for longer. I found the ITL rubric around ICT really beneficial for reflecting on how I was integrating the use of ICT. One thing to think about is 'Do you have the infrastructure in your school to do your 'what nows'? I only say this as I found that in particular I had to teach my students a number of things such as sharing, uploading, apps they could use etc.
I look forward to hearing about what exciting things you do!
:)
Jess
Kia ora Rosie, he mihi atu ki a koe mo to tuhituhinga pai. Thank you Rosie for sharing your blogs with us. I like your messages and how you've set up your page, ie your profile, how many are looking in on you etc. Nga mihi!
ReplyDeleteKia ora Rosey. It is good to see you are keeping up to date with theories. Even better to see you using these in your practice. I like the idea of SAMR and showing how this would be effective in addressing the issue you identified. Keep up the good work!
ReplyDeleteKia Ora Rosie, I really enjoyed reading your blog post and found like you that students are highly motivated with the use of digital technology as long as they understand how to use it. I agree with the SAMAR model and your point that we have to stretch students learning rather than using technology for substitution or even augmentation.
ReplyDeleteNga mihi
Carol