Pages

Tuesday, 10 July 2018

Week 29 Using social online networks in teaching or professional development

Descriptive:
In my teaching practice I have used Google+ communities for mathematics, videos from Youtube and Blogger to share what is happening in the classroom. However I have found that I have used social online networks such as facebook groups, Google+ communities, Youtube, Google slides to help me develop professional. Engaging in online discussion and the sharing of resources has been beneficial for my practice as a teacher.

I feel that in my own practice in the classroom I have not use social online networks to their full potential, to connect the learners in my classroom with those around New Zealand and the world. However I have found they have been beneficial to how I teach and what I teach in the classroom.

Comparitive:
In the school I teach at some teachers have used closed Facebook pages instead of blogs to share what is happening in the classroom, these are private and can only be shared with the parents. The teachers found that they had a higher engagement from their parental community and it was easier to share the learning in realtime, this is supported by Magnette (2014) in their writing. As a school we have also been sharing what is happening via the Facebook page, this allows parents and whanau to see what is happening in our school and to receive any important notices, as Twitter has not worked for all our parents. I would like to use this platform as a way to share in realtime what is happening in the classroom. I want to use this as it is what is happening in our school, rather than blogger or seesaw.

I signed up to twitter as a part of the Mindlab course, however I have not really used it. I have found in my teaching practice I tend to go to what is familiar. I have seen through this course the benefits of using twitter to share learning and connect with other learners internationally. It is something I would like to begin to use more effectively in my classroom. I wish to do this by following Whitaker, Zoul and Casas (2015) of Follow 5, Give 5 and Take 5. I hope that using this in my classroom will help me to better use twitter.

Critical Reflection:
In my teaching I have found the use of the online world incredibly beneficial to my teaching practice. However I have found that time always seems to be a factor. I have enjoyed being a part of a community of teachers journeying together with Mindlab, but have found that I have not had the time to interact as effectively as I would like. After this course I would like to be not only someone who views and get ideas from others, but to share more in online forums and seek advice from others, to get the full benefits from forums such as Facebook, google + and twitter. Going ahead and using social media to inform my practice and share learning (using Give 5 model) I hope to improve my personal learning network and my engagement with other educators.

References

Jay, J.K. and Johnson, K.L. (2002). Capturing complexity: a typology of
reflective practice for teacher education. Teaching and Teacher Education, 18, 73-85.


Magette, K. (2014). Embracing social media : a practical guide to manage risk and leverage opportunity. Rowman & Littlefield Publishers.(Available in Unitec library).

Whitaker, T., Zoul, J., & Casas, J. (2015). What connected educators do differently. New York, NY: Routledge.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks Rosey, I too find the online world incredibly beneficial to my teaching practice and I too find it hard to find time to make valued contributions. I'm not sure what level you teach but we use Seesaw at our school to connect with our parents and to keep a record of our student learning. It's incredibly easy to use and the kids love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rosey,

    A lot of what you have shared is very similar to what I shared on my blog. I love the idea of connecting with other schools both here in NZ and internationally. I have been back in NZ for about a year now and continue to stay in contact with my Arab students via video message (through their teachers of course!). They share about their learning and ask whether kiwi students learn different strategies to them.

    What I did find while working overseas was how important it was to use technology to help build strong home school partnerships. Teachers were very tech savvy and the collaboration and sharing of skills was very important at our school. However, I found coming back to NZ, it was different because I felt teachers at my school did not use technology nor networking to their advantage.

    I remember going back to school (after a MindLab class) and sharing the benefits of building our PLN. I also shared about the benefits of using social media to help engage our community. But I guess, unless you have a massive buy in from staff, it is a very slow journey to make things happen.


    However, all is not lost. My goal is to become more active and do Whitaker et al (2015) Follow 5, give 5 take 5. This is a challenge I would also like to lay out to my Junior Team when school restarts for the term. I see this as an opportunity to become pro active in building our PLN. So, I look forward to seeing how you are doing with yours later on in the year Rosey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Rosey, I enjoyed this blog as it is very I found we have very similar ideas. I too find social media very beneficial to my teaching practice and would like to improve my engagement with other educators. However like you I find it hard to find the time to sit down and make valuable contributions. I found you use of Google+ communities for maths really interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Rosey, Thanks for sharing your journey over the last 32 weeks (well nearly)! I see you have similar views on the use of social media and definitely agree with you on the time factor. I also signed up to use twitter during Mindlab but as yet have not seriously tried! My eldest daughter (12) has signed me up to Instagram and Snapchat and I struggle to keep up. Being a hands-on learner I need time to digest and go through that ins and outs of an application. Gaining confidence overtime to actually engage in Google+ and Facebook networks has been a real step out of comfort zone, but see the benefits already being used in my classroom. Good luck with the rest of your learning and continuing to try new things. Sarah

    ReplyDelete

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - Begin with a greeting. Talk about something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A comment that will mean something to me to let me know you read/watched or listened to what I had to say. - use any language.
3. Something helpful - Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.
Encourage me to make another post