Pages

Friday, 4 September 2020

Session Seven: Devices

Session seven was all about the devices we use in our classrooms. I appreciated how Manaiakalani links their choice of device with Te Tiriti o Waitangi principles, this is something I had never thought about. The point made about how having the same device creates equity for our learners and whānau, is important when upholding the principles of Te Tiriti o Waitangi.  It is always encouraging to know how much effort and research has gone into the decisions around the devices chosen for our use. As kaiako in Aotearoa we say we will honour the principles in our curriculums and designing of learning. Considering the devices we use as upholding the principles had me thinking how else can we uphold them in our schools. I also find myself asking how we can do it authentically so that it is who we are rather than something we do to tick a box.

The first device we looked at was chromebooks. It was nice to work with the devices my tauira use and learn the shortcuts. The digital dig is an activity that I had completed with my class and facilitator, going through this again reminded me about what I need to focus on with my class. It also reminded me of the importance of revisiting learning to consolidate it. I found I had to remind myself of the different shortcuts that I haven't been using. I would like to try this activity again with my tauira so they can practice the shortcuts and consolidate what they have learnt. I can see tauira already teaching each other shortcuts and it is so encouraging to see my tauira become the kaiako, it is authentic tuakana teina in the classroom. 

                        


The next device we looked at was iPads and using the app Explain Everything. This was fun to explore and trial using different functions. I haven't used explain everything a lot and still find I need more experience with designing a learning task for the students to engage with.


Above is an image of what I created on explain everything.


Lastly we had to go through a cybersmart lesson and create using either explain everything, screencastify or Hapara. I chose to focus on the lesson about creating and attributing images. I chose this because my tauira do not often think about who owns the images they want to use and why you can't post someone else's work on your own. I would like to teach this lesson in my classroom so that I can get students practice the skill of attributing and to generate discussion on being and author and creator and what it means in a digital world. 

My key learning from today is to consider equity in my classroom. Whether it is with the device I use or how I design the learning, I need to consider how I am enabling my learning to be accessible so that all my students learn and become more independent with their learning.

     
Above is my recording, where I look at the lesson and discuss how I could use it in my classroom.

3 comments:

  1. Kia ora Rosey,
    As always, a great reflection on this past week's content! It's great to hear that you have identified a lesson that you feel would be valuable for your learners. You've also explored all of the tools we looked at within our DFI day well and have showcased this in a variety of ways on your blog. It's eyecatching and shows us through your process well. Yes, Explain Everything does take some time to use well. Great to hear you enjoyed some reminders in the Digital Dig - my favourite two shortcuts to teach the learners are Control Z to undo an error, and Control Shift T, to open a tab they have accidentally closed and want to get back to. What's your favourite keyboard shortcut?
    Amie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kia Ora Amie,

      I think my favourite shortcut that I was taught on DFI was command k (macbook). This has helped me so much in my planning and presenting links on slides. I know the tauira in my class really appreciate control z, especially when they are working on their own DLOs.

      I will let you know how the lesson goes when I teach it in class.

      Rosey

      Delete
    2. Hi Rosey,
      Control K is so great isn't it!? I teach kids that it's like K for Kangaroo and I'm going to "hop a link in". And yes, control Z is a real lifesaver for worried kids (and teachers!) who think they've lost everything!

      Delete

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - Begin with a greeting. Talk about something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A comment that will mean something to me to let me know you read/watched or listened to what I had to say. - use any language.
3. Something helpful - Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.
Encourage me to make another post