Pages

Friday, 14 August 2020

Session 4: Dealing with Data

We started today's learning by focusing on what sharing is and who we share with. Manaiakalani is focused on engaging students with their learning, part of this is to encourage students by sharing their learning and having others engage with it on a digital platform. I found the definition of an authentic audience helpful for framing why the students share their learning and what the purpose of the blogs are; "An authentic audience is someone who chooses to listen to you." Thinking about the content you produce and what you are sharing is relevant for our students, when considering the purpose of their learning. If our students can see a purpose in what they are doing they are more likely to engage with it and remember.

I have been encouraged watching our DFI facilitators share with our cohort their knowledge and understanding of the google suite. They seem to approach everything with a sense of calm, even when things do not work the way they were hoping. It is great role modelling for us as educators on the power of things not going smoothly and showing our own students how to problem solve.

I was excited for today's session as it was going to cover Google sheets, a part of the google suite I have used for planning, however I wanted to be able to use it more effectively for the collection of data and recognising patterns in students learning. We covered a lot of functions including how to use conditional formatting and data validation. Two areas I had previously learned about but forgotten how to use. I know this is going to transform my data collection and how I am analysing the results of my students because it makes it easy to see the patterns in the data. I am really looking forward to using these two features to collate my data not only on a termly basis but across the year. I think this will be beneficial not only for my reflection, but also for the next teacher to be able to see where the students are at.

An activity we used to practice analysing student data was with the blog posts. I really enjoyed the activity and felt it would be a good way to engaging my students in the purpose of blogging. Below is my presentation analysing a students blog posts in sheets and using the graphing function.

Another tool we explored today was MyMaps. I thought this tool would be great not only in the classroom but for personal use when planning travel. I chose to design a personal map and add my own locations. I think this would be a great way to teach position and orientation and measurement in the classroom. The students would be able to look at their own local area and find the distance between landmarks and create their own map highlighting places of significance to them and their community. I also thought it would be a great tool for students when study other places around the world.

 

Today's theme of 'dealing with data' was an appropriate title, as we spent the day analysing and learning ways to manage the data we use in education. I am hoping that I will be able to implement many of the tools we explored today. There were so many functions we covered to simplify what I do in the classroom, it has me wondering how other educators are using Google to enhance their teaching and the learning in their classrooms.

2 comments:

  1. Kia ora Rosey, I do enjoy reading your reflections on the DFI sessions and your thoughts on ways to implement the things we have been focusing on with your learners. Thanks for the kind words about the team and their response when things don't quite work out as planned. I guess when working with technology, and especially online, we have to always be prepared for the unexpected! Best wishes for the week ahead. Dorothy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Morena Rosey,
    As Dorothy mentioned, I also enjoy your deep reflections and approach to transferring your learning directly back to your own classroom. You have very lucky learners! I'm so pleased you are getting a lot out of the DFI days and can see the potential uses for the tools we are exploring, both for yourself, as well as for your learners. I definitely agree about MyMaps - it could be such a powerful tool, couldn't it? Your blog analysis was very full and provided a wonderful exploration of this learner's blog... something that could definitely be powerful back in the classroom. It would be wonderful if you'd share with us on your blog some of the ways you end up using them in the classroom... sharing here amplifies your own learning so others can learn from you too... and as your blog is aptly titled... leading the way. Well done on another wonderful very full DFI day of learning and a great reflection demonstrating that learning.
    Kia haumaru te noho,
    Amie

    ReplyDelete

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - Begin with a greeting. Talk about something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A comment that will mean something to me to let me know you read/watched or listened to what I had to say. - use any language.
3. Something helpful - Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.
Encourage me to make another post